Sunday, July 29, 2007

Summer Projects

We've been interested in composting for a while... Nathan learned more about it at school and we decided it was time to develop our own system. We save scraps in a plastic bin in the kitchen before adding them to our emerging "heap." I am proud to say I built the compost bin all by myself (and yes, I know - it shows)! Although not strictly in line with re-cycle/re-use philosophy (I bought the lumber), I enjoyed the construction process. At the moment, there are too many sticks in the bin; we are waiting to get more green before adding worms.


We also have a small garden. We started the seeds indoors in February. We found a small plot of space in the backyard, weeded it, and planted our sprouts in May. We have tomatoes, eggplant, hot peppers, onions, soybeans, cukes, and watermelons. We are still waiting for the fruits to appear... at this point in the summer, it doesn't look good. The garden does not get full sun and it's surrounded by walnut trees. I think next year we'll just rely on the farmer's market.

No comments: